What should customers do in November 2023 to February 2024
What are we seeing about Java license deals in the market?
- Oracle has started concluding deals with some customers with the new ‘Employee’ metric in different geographies – we have seen deals happen in the USA, Europe and in India.
- Deal sizes are upwards of $200k per year for small customers, $1m for medium sized customers and above $3m per year for large customers.
- Customers are being asked for past 2- or 3-year usage of Java.
- Oracle is making the statement to customers very vigorously: even if one machine has commercial Java, you need to pay for every employee. Interestingly we have customers who have found they need to pay nothing to Oracle.
- Customers who are getting intimidated are paying up.
- Customers are being threatened with Java audits.
What should customers do?
- Do not get intimidated. You need to respond to Oracle but do it with expert advise or legal advice from your internal counsel.
- There are many ways to license Java. Understand Java licensing and then go ahead and discuss with Oracle.
- Do an internal Java deployment review. You might be pleasantly surprised with the outcome.
- Plan your Java deployment and usage strategies.
- Plan your Java procurement looking at all the possible alternatives and understanding the value you are getting from the deployments.
How can we help you on Java license changes
- We have developed a Java License Analyzer (available as a product and a service) that will help you understand your Oracle & non-Oracle Java deployments.
- We can provide you with key understanding of the convoluted mosaic of Java license change and its impacts on compliance and costs.
- We can help you with audit defense if Oracle pushes for a Java audit.
- We can provide you with the data and justifications for the best price for doing a deal with Oracle for Java.
About Rythium Technologies
- Rythium Technologies is a leading provider of software license management services (LMS). We help our clients reduce their software costs & manage license compliance. Our Oracle LMS portfolio consists of a wide range of licensing services, including: Oracle ULA services, Java License Advisory, Oracle LMS and audit defense, Oracle license review.
- We have worked on more than 180 Oracle license management projects in the past 7 years.
- Click here if you want to know the features of the Java License Analyzer
- Click here if you want to download our guide on ‘How to analyze and license Oracle Java’
- You might want to read more about our CEO Sheshagiri Anegondi (Sheshu). He is amongst the foremost Oracle License Experts globally.